Je Mange



“I eat therefore I am”– Culinary Genius

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Is the Chef Dead?

Well it has been 4 days. My chef dosn't seem to be doing well. No bubbles, no yeasty beer smells, no foam; none of the signs of yeast.

It seems to be separating; a stinky watery substance on top, a goopy floury substance on bottom. From what I've read the watery stuff is known as hooch, though if I don't have a yeast colony then it ought not be hooch. Hooch is said to be harmless; it can be poured off or mixed in. I wonder if the smell I'm smelling is that of rancid water and flour?

Tonight I poured off the hooch since the whole thing is rather watery. I mixed in some more flour and water. I'm going to leave the cover half off.

If you build it they will come.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Nerine said…

    so, is hooch related to the beer process?

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Zeb said…

    I think the term as applied in this case is related to the alcohol. Hooch or moonshine is created yeast fermenting sugars; the liquid is separated from the mash and thus you have hooch.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Sharon said…

    Check your info again re the yeast. I think you should have had 'bubbles' before now. I may be wrong but if it's anything like the sourdough method I've used in the past (and it sounds to be), I think this batch may be a dud?
    Try, try again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home