Je Mange



“I eat therefore I am”– Culinary Genius

Monday, September 11, 2006

Döner Kebab, Canadian Style

My first attempt at creating an Eastern Canadian Shawarma; aka donair.

The results were just about passable; I'd make it again once in a while. It reminded me of home in a good, nostalgic way. It was certainly good enough to wet my interest in developing my own recipe.

I pulled the recipe from the net, the recipe is Dash Rip Rocks’. I won’t reproduce it here but I will say that I used ground pork and minced onions & garlic as opposed to ground beef and powdered garlic & onions (simply because I didn’t have any in the house). I did not toss the meat as much as the recipe indicated and I believe it suffered. The loaf was much easier to cut after it had cooled overnight.

In the future I’m planning on trying it again with ground lamb. I’ll tweak the spices and do away with the minced garlic in the sauce. The sauce itself didn’t thicken enough for my liking; I’ll have to experiment with it.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Nerine said…

    A friend who worked at Greco told me the sauce is confectioner's sugar, shortening, and garlic. Probably water goes in too. Maybe pureed garlic would work better than chopped.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home