Je Mange



“I eat therefore I am”– Culinary Genius

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Ken Hom: Cookbooks

I bought my third cookbook by Ken Hom yesterday; "Ken Hom Chinese Cooking". It is a very handsom hard cover book published by the BBC. The photography is modern as is the layout however I wish there were more photos of the dishes and in the ingredient section. I've perused the recipes and they all look lovely. It is marketed as an updated version, recommended as a reference. I can't wait to try the recipe for "deep fried milk".


I like Ken Hom, the BBC and this book however if I were to choose out of all my Ken Hom cookbooks it would be "Chinese Technique: An Illustrated Guide to the Fundamental Techniques of Chinese Cooking by Ken Hom with Harvey Steiman". This is a much older book with mostly black and white photos however there is a plethora. It is the only cookbook in which I have seen step by step instructions on skinning a whole chicken (leaving the skin intact), stuffing it and then deep-frying it. This book instructed me to fabricate a whole chicken, as well as leading me in making Peking Duck the first time. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have both but one can not replace the other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home