Je Mange



“I eat therefore I am”– Culinary Genius

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Yung Squash Soup

My landlady is a little old Asian woman; she happens to grow vegetables in the front courtyard. Recently she presented us with gift of squash. In the past she has given us mint grown from her garden.

To be honest I've never cooked with squash before, let alone eat it with any regularity. Having no idea what to do with it I took a page from work and made a soup based upon our Butternut Squash Soup.

The ingredients and procedure were described to me and the following recipe is an approximation since I didn't measure anything nor had any measurements to go by. What I can say for sure is that this soup turned out wonderfully and I'd certainly make it again.

At work we add kernel corn after it has been puréed. I think boiled potatoes would work well or perhaps reserved small diced squash and carrots. I didn't have any coconut milk in my cupboard but used evaporated milk and desiccated coconut. I steeped the milk and coconut and strained it out.

I named this soup 'Young Squash Soup' not after the type of squash, I have no idea what type it is nor its age. The soup is named after its benefactor Mrs Yung.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This soup does sound delicious I must admit (I've never been a huge soup fan)so I will have to try this one out.

    What type of squash did you use? Describe the color, texture, size etc and I'll know what it is... or just ask Mrs Young!

    Squash varieties differ from each other in taste and texture as well as their water content. Some can easily be interchanged in recipes but others would never do. Knowing which squash you used would be most helpful.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Zeb said…

    The squash is large, just over a foot long. Green with whit-ish marks going from top to bottom. Otherwise I know butternut squash works quite well.

    I'd also reduce the amount of fish sauce to just 1 to ½ t, and the curry paste to 1½ T.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home